This user guide provides the steps required to configure the ASUS Router using OpenVPN Protocol.
Note: This tutorial is only compatible with the following Asus routers:
RT-N66U, RT-AC56U, RT-AC66U, RT-AC68U, RT-AC87U, RT-AC5300, RT-AC3200, RT-AC3100, RT-AC1750, RT-AC88U, RT-AC66R, RT-AC55U
Before you begin – Create VPN Username/Password
Create a DNSFlex account, then log into the dashboard to manage your SOCKS5/VPN username and password.
- Log into the DNSFlex Dashboard
- Once you are logged in, select the “VPN” tab
- Next, enter your username and password. This login will be used for VPN, SOCKS5 and SSH server access.
Before you begin – Download DNSFlex OpenVPN Configuration Files
In the next step of this tutorial, you will need to provide authentication and server information found in the DNSFlex .ovpn configuration files.
- Start by visiting the DNSFlex VPN locator map here.
- Select Country
- Select the VPN configuration file from the drop down menu
- Save the files in a location for safe keeping
Step 1 – Login to ASUS Router
- Login to the Router Admin UI by accessing your web browser and entering the Router IP in the address bar. The default address is 192.168.1.1.
- Login with the username and password you setup for your router account. By default, your User Name should be admin and your Password should be admin.
Step 2 – Configure VPN Settings
- Navigate to the left pane menu and select Advanced Settings -> VPN
- Select the “VPN Client” tab from the top menu, click “Add Profile“
- Select the “OpenVPN” tab and enter the following details
Description: Useful details about your VPN Connection Profile
Username: DNSFlex VPN Username (Created in Step 1)
Password: DNSFlex VPN Password (Created in Step 1)
Import .ovpn file: DNSFlex OpenVPN configuration file (Downloaded in Step 1)
- Select “OK”
- Finally, click on “Activate” to Connect to the VPN Server
- To validate the connection, using a web browser, visit http://whatismyip.com.
Note: If you wish to update VPN location, you must connect to a different VPN Server.
- Browse to the DNSFlex VPN Server Map here and download a new .ovpn configuration file.
- Follow Step 2 to upload the new .ovpn file
- Enter your DNSFlex VPN Username and Password
- Hit Apply at the bottom of the page and select Service State ON..